Pages

Subscribe:

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas Cheer #12: Christmas Menu

We're finally here! The last Christmas post! And it's about one of my favorite topics: Food! I really wanted our Christmas menu to be perfect. We don't do dinner like a lot of people do, we do more of a lunch with lots of appetizer-ish foods. The idea is to eat all day long. I spent a LOT of time on Pinterest and kraftfoods.com to come up with the best menu and (with Madre's help), I think it was awesome. We had 7 people to feed:
1. Ham & Cheese Sliders
2. Mini Lasagnas
3. Homemade Chips & Salsa
4. Caprese Skewers
5. Poinsettia Mimosas
Check out the recipes after the jump!
Ham & Cheese Sliders
These are the same ham & cheese sliders that I made for our housewarming party. I wanted to do something different, but I knew we wanted ham for Christmas, and these little sandwiches were so darn good, that I had to make them. We used the recipe from the-girl-who-ate-everything.com (check it out here). The only thing I do differently from her recipe is instead of minced onion, I use chopped up fresh onion. YUM! I almost always make a double batch of these, but since we had so much food, 12 was enough. 

Mini Lasagnas
These turned out way better (and way cuter!) than I expected. I used the recipe from canyoustayfordinner.com (check it out here). They really didn't take too long to make, and once I had an extra hand in the kitchen to stir up the ingredients, it came together really easily. I got a great response from these (I don't like lasagna, so I couldn't tell you how good they were), although some people seemed to think there was too much ricotta in them. I'd probably cut back on it a little bit. The only other problem I had was getting them out of the muffin tins. These things need super grease to get out without tearing. I made 12 and we had leftovers (my friends loved them the next day- reheat in the microwave for 2 minutes and they're just like new).

Homemade Chips and Salsa
Chips: I saw a recipe somewhere awhile back (I don't remember where, sorry!) for homemade chips. All I did was brush oil on one side of the tortillas (I used a whole package), stacked them all up, and cut them into eighths. Then I spread them out on a cookie sheet and baked at 350 degrees until crispy. I retrospect, I should've used multiple cookie sheets and probably fewer tortillas. They were okay, but I'll probably find a different recipe next time.

Salsa: I used a recipe from melskitchencafe.com (check it out here). Overall, it was pretty good, but I really wish I had a food processor. Once I put everything in a blender, it just got liquidy and the taste was a little off. I also used fresh jalapenos, just because I prefer not to use canned vegetables if I can avoid it. It was good enough to eat, but I probably won't try to make salsa again until I have the right equipment. 

Caprese Skewers
These were a big hit! I got the idea from Terri's Table (check it out here). When I tried to make them, I couldn't get the skewer through both sides of the spinach without tearing it, so I only put it through one and laid them out nicely. After a drizzle of balsamic vinegarette, they were ready to go! I made these three days in a row because people kept asking me for them. They were delicious, looked great and were super easy to make- I definitely recommend them!

Poinsettia Mimosas
I found the recipe for these on Better Homes & Gardens's website (check it out here). I loved that they had a Christmas-y name and involved sparkling wine. I modified the recipe a little bit, but I think it was a big hit. I made two different bowls of this (one alcoholic and one non). The recipe says to take oranges and get the peels to use as a garnish, but I thought it would be better with fruit in it. I peeled a bunch of clementines and threw them in the punch, and put half of a jar of maraschino cherries in each bowl as well. For the alcoholic punch, I used Triple Sec & sparkling pink moscato; for the non-alcoholic punch, I used pulp free orange juice and sparkling white grape juice. They were very good and I drank them all week (I made a double batch and had plenty left over).

Now that Christmas is done, we can focus on the new year! I'll be back with the first post of 2012 soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment