Pages

Subscribe:

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Christmas Cheer #4: Recycled Magazine Trees

Happy Football Sunday! Go Packers!
Okay, I know that's not Christmasy, but I don't care. 

Alright, here's the festive-ness. Last night I stayed up wayyyyy to late (How I Met Your Mother is finally on Netflix!) and found a fun (although time consuming) Christmas tree craft using old magazines. Check out Martha Stewart's tutorial here.

Here's how I did it:


Step #1: Find an old magazine. Bend it open at several different spots to break the spine. I used an old Brides magazine:

Step #2: Take the top right corner and fold it across the page to make a triangle. Repeat for what feels like forever until all the pages are folded down (I removed all the inserts in the magazine as I got to them). Every now and then, a page would start to fall out, so I just removed it. 


Step #3: Fold each folded page in half again by bringing the folded line into the spine of the magazine. This creates a tie-like shape. Keep going until each page has been folded again. 


Step #4: Take the bottom half of the tie and fold it up into the page. This is the last fold in the tree- it should make a triangle. 

Congrats! The hard part is finished. You should have a tree shaped recycled magazine of festivity!

I made a second one with an Ikea catalog that was a little bit smaller. Instead of going through all of step 3 and then step 4, I combined the two. It seemed to go a little faster, but that could've been just because it was my second attempt and I was a little more comfortable with the process.

In the tutorial on Martha's site, they use spray adhesive and glitter. Once I have a chance to get to the hardware store, I'll be trying metallic or glitter spray on these. I'll post updates once they're done!

More Cheer to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment