Pages

Subscribe:

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Christmas Cheer #7: Hand Warmers

I saw a link on Pinterest (Follow Me!) for these really cute heart shaped hand warmers. I thought it was a tutorial, but alas, it was not. It took me to someone's Etsy shop so I could BUY these cute little suckers. As much as I would love to support someone else's Etsy shop, I vowed to make my gifts, and my budget wouldn't have allowed me to buy them anyways. My only choice was to make them myself!

I started with just some basic pieces of felt from Michael's. I got the $0.30 sheets in dark red and off white. All I did was cut out hearts from the felt (just like in grade school- fold the page in half so both sides are symmetrical!). I matched them up and made sure they were the same size (and did any necessary trimming). 

Since these were going to my family, I wanted to personalize them a little bit. I posted a couple of weeks ago about losing my grandma. She was known for her love of cardinals. I wanted to bring them into the gift, so that people would think of her when they held the hearts in their hands. I looked up a picture of a cardinal, and sketched it out on the red felt (it was very rough, not detailed at all). It worked out pretty well to just hand sketch and cut them out- most of them actually resembled cardinals! To attach them to the hearts, I just sewed them on- sort of like I would've sewn a button.

Once I had matching hearts, I started to hand sew them. I got thread and needles for Walgreens because I didn't have any, and it was the only place that was open (seriously, it was pretty classy.). Once I got most of the way around, I stopped, and filled them 2/3 of the way up with rice (regular cheap rice from the store-just don't use instant!). Once they had rice, I continued sewing all the way around the heart until it was completely shut. Ta-da! Hard warmers!


After making 10 with cardinals, I was pretty sick of trying to cut out a bunch of tiny birds and I was running low on white felt, so I ended up making 10 hearts out of the red felt and matching them up with the other hearts as pairs. They looked really cute! I tied them up with string and put a note on that said "Put me in the microwave for 30 seconds, and I'll keep your hands warm for 30 minutes to one hour!"

No comments:

Post a Comment