Pages

Subscribe:

Sunday, December 4, 2011

Christmas Cheer #3: Snowflakes

Happy Weekend! Since I'm home by myself tonight, I thought I would try a couple of holiday crafts since, despite my best efforts, our house is still decoration-free.

I am trying to make a craft bench for myself, but since I haven't really started yet, I don't have very many craft supplies around the house, so I had to get creative. My project was to make snowflakes to put on our sliding glass door. This is SUPER easy, and involves a lot of techniques that I learned in elementary school. Honestly, this is probably more at home in a house that has kids in it, but, hey, I thought I would bring back that little kid Christmas Cheer and give it a shot.

We used to cut out snowflakes using printer paper and tape them to the window, but I thought I would take the "classier" route that does not involve tape. Fortunately, the people we bought our house from left a bunch of contact paper in our basement. It is supposed to look like "granite", but it doesn't really. I definitely won't be using it for my drawers or shelves, so I gave it a try. Here's what I did:




Step 1: Assemble your materials. Contact paper and scissors (very high tech):

Step 2: Cut a "perfect" square:



Step 3: Fold into a triangle. Then again. Then again.

Step 4: Take the point made by two shorter sides (the one at the bottom of the last picture) and fold it across the triangle. I think it resembles an ice cream cone. Others tend to disagree with me.

Step 5: Cut the top of the "ice cream cone" off.


Step 6: Cut in your shapes!

Step 7: Open up your snowflake, remove the backing, and stick your new masterpiece on the window!







 I added in a couple of smaller ones, too. Apologies for the poor photo quality; I struggled to take a picture without me in it. More Christmas Cheer tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment